A picture of my funny auto correct conversation with a hockey buddy last night. They say iPhone tries to guess the words you use the most.
Archive for the ‘Hockey’ Category
Hello readers. I know it’s been a while since my last posts. I have no excuse other than laziness. But sometimes a person just needs to take a year-long nap.
Last year, I consulted with a coworker who is much more tapped into the gay culture than I. I wanted to see what kinds of posts I can write to attract more readers among the gays. The conversation went something like this:
Me: hey what can I write about to get more gay readers?
Gay Culture Consultant (GCC): write “that player is hot” kind of articles.
Me: I don’t really want to do that.
GCC: write “that player is gay” articles.
Me: I’m never going to do that. I’m not even going to remotely speculate on that.
GCC: can’t help you then. Hey which players are hot?
Me: arg… Google Adam Henrique and Tyler Seguin.
I’m saving you the trouble of googling. Pictures after the link.
* Disclaimer: The title is borrowed from author George R. R. Martin.
Where did that team come from?
My Devils are halfway to the impossible now, on their way back to Los Angeles where an entire city must be asking the above-mentioned question. Just four days ago, the Kings were happily cruising along, one victory away from giving the City of Angels its first Stanley Cup with an amazing young goalie and a stream of good luck. Now, the Kings have lost two consecutive games for the first time in months. The Devils, by contrast, are gaining confidence by the minute.
Of course, with the series currently at 3-2, my Devils are clearly still the underdog–one mistake and the series could end with the Stanley Cup parading through Hollywood and Beverly Hills. But we are, as of now, halfway to a feat that has only been achieved once in NHL history: bouncing back from a 3-0 series to win the Cup.
* Disclaimer: The title is borrowed from author George R. R. Martin.
Well it ain’t over yet.
I am of course not happy about being down 3-0 in the series. In fact, it outright sucks. Being shut out 4-0 last night just adds insult to injury after the two overtime wins by the Kings. But even I have to acknowledge the wonderful performance by Jonathan Quick, the amazing goalie of the Kings.
The Kings’ reaching 3-0 so quickly (Quick-ly? ) also cut short the series I planned to pen. I initially planned to write five pieces, counting on the series go to at least game 6: prelude, overture, crescendo, finale, and postlude. Now it looks like finale will come much quicker than I thought.
So I struggled to think of what to say. And then I saw this post from another Devils’ fan on Facebook. This said all I need to, and I will just copy and paste the post after the jump.
Honor, civility, sportsmanship, and candor, important qualities to possess even in the heat of the game and especially when frustrated by the prospect of elimination. I will try, knowing that many times I will fail, to carry these qualities with me in my life and my games.
A month ago nobody would have believed it. My Devils will be playing the Kings for the Stanley Cup.
The two young captains, each only 27 years old, accepted the Clarence S. Campbell Bowl (for winning the Western Conference) and the Prince of Wales Trophy (for winning the Eastern Conference). Of course, consistent with tradition/superstition, neither touched his cup as it was considered a jinx.
* As anyone who watches HBO’s hit series “A Game of Thrones” would know, the title is borrowed from author George R. R. Martin.
In Round 1 of the Eastern Conference I rooted for the Boston Bruins.
No, it was not because of Tyler Seguin. It was that nobody wanted to play against the Flyers.
Based on the seeding, Eastern Conference Round 1 pitted the Flyers against the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Flyers won that series in six games, beating their long time rival. The remaining three series all went to Game 7. Based on their seeding, if the Bruins had beat the Capitals (Caps), then the Devils would have been matched up with the Rangers. If the Caps won, then Devils would have gone up against the Flyers.
Nobody wanted to play against the Flyers–a consensus shared by the fans of the Rangers, the Caps, and the Devils in my office.
To those who closely follow NHL news, the retirement of Sean Avery is not exactly “news.” But, having disclaimed both quality and quantity of my posts, I feel neither guilt nor shame about bringing you late “news.”
What a character Sean is! Leave it to him to announce his retirement on Bravo TV. I particularly enjoyed this exchange:
Q. What are your plans for the future, hockey-wise?
AVERY: I am officially retired. I threw my skates in the Hudson. [To Nicole Richie] It’s the river.
RICHIE: I know. I thought you meant that you threw them against Kate Hudson’s face.
AVERY: No. But she, I think, has dated a few hockey players in the past.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Sean, a character people loved or hated, a brief introduction after the jump.
Hello hockey fans.
A few days ago, I asked Bobby to become a guest writer, and Bobby has granted me the request. I will be a new guest writer for this blog, but, as I made very clear to Bobby, I can guarantee neither quantity nor quality of posts. To which he tersely replied, “ if you’ve read my blog you know I’m not that concerned with quantity or quality.” So, at a minimum, now there would be twice as many posts as before, even if these don’t come with great frequency. Moreover, I figured we need to have at least one writer whose team–the New Jersey Devils–has ensured a spot in the playoffs (sorry Bobby ).
Alright guys, so apparently more people than just my occasional friends read this blog and a reader asked if he could contribute to the blog! Of course I said yes and after reading his introduction post I’m so glad I did! Even though he is a New Jersey Devils fan, I think we can expect some great insight from him! So without further ado please welcome Vinnie!!!
Here is my annual list of the Top Ten Hottest NHL Players…according to me!
1. Jamie Benn – Dallas Stars - Yes, for the third year in a row Jamie Benn makes the top of the list!! Maybe I’m not being totally unbiased with this list but my blog my choice, haha! He remains on the list because not only of his amazingly boyish good looks but because he is becoming a standout player as well. (i.e. making the all-star team this year!) Even though he has been growing his hair out longer, which I’m not crazy about, he is still a massive hunk!
2. Patrick Sharp – Chicago Blackhawks - Patrick Sharp made his first appearance last year on the list and this year he even scooted up a few places. I think Patrick is “the boy next door” kind of cute. He seems like such a nice guy and to me that makes him extremely hot! Also, he is a new father and that also ups his hot factor…because lets face it guys with kids are HOT!
3. Ryan Kesler - Vancouver Canucks - The first newbie on this years list is here by popular demand. I lot of people think Kesler is hot and after sifting through a LOT of photos I agree, especially after seeing the one below! Now personally I’m not an ab person, but for him I could exception.
4. Mike Richards - Los Angeles Kings – So thankfully, Mike Richards left the dreaded Flyer’s and joined another Stars rival team, haha! I wish he played for the Stars because he is actually a really smart player on the ice and is extremely cute on and off the ice!
5. Brenden Morrow - Dallas Stars – So last year I put Morrow in the honorable mentions category and I’m not sure why I just didn’t put him on the actually list. Morrow is one of few people who looks good in pictures but even better in person, and not just occasionally better in person, but all the time in person! Even after he’s been knocked around a few times on the rink. He may not be the kind of height that I like but he’s still very handsome!
6. Gabriel Landeskog - Colorado Avalanche - Another newbie to the list and one that was presented to me by many of the viewers of the blog, is Gabriel Landeskog. I’m not sure why but he reminds me of two actors of the “Hunger Games” and both of those actors were hot! He’s a really cute guy and he seems like the innocent type (maybe because he is only 19) but that is always a turn on, haha!
7. Zach Parise - New Jersey Devils – Another player who has been on the list every year is the ‘jock hot’ player, Zach Parise. Parise seems like he may be kind of a douche (One of the side effects of being ‘jock hot’) but regardless of what he does off the ice, the man can play one hell of a game of hockey and look good while doing it!
8. Brad Richards – New York Rangers - If you’re familiar with the past two years lists you might notice that Brad Richards is considerably lower on the list than in previous years. Now I can’t help but feel the fact that he no longer wears the green and gold that I love so dearly is partly responsible for his demotion on this years list. Regardless, one of the main reasons Richards ever made the list was because of what I like to call the good-Samaritan look. Richards seems like such a nice guy and that shoots up his hotness factor way up.
9. Henrik Lundqvist – New York Rangers - Lundqvist is another veteran to the list and the main reason he shows up every year is due to that incredible smile of his. It is a killer smile, and that’s coming from a guy he doesn’t really notice that kind of stuff…but in this case how could you not notice!
10. Stu Bickel - New York Rangers - To close out this years list I’ve decided to end with yet another newbie. I’ll be honest I had no clue who Bickel was before reading his name in one of the comments from one of my other posts, but after looking him up I’m glad I saw his name. What makes me attracted to Bickel is that he is normal looking. He looks like a normal guy with good looks…who just happens to be a NHL star.
So there you guys have it, my picks for the 2012 hottest NHL players! I decided not to do any honorable mentions this year, if you miss it let me know and I’ll add it back on. So what do you guys think, did I leave anyone off??
This is a video of a woman proposing to her girlfriend at a Senator’s/Maple Leaf’s game, watch how sweet it is!!
So I love this video and with all the “You Can Play” initiative talk lately this video could not have come at a more perfect time! After all this stuff the past few weeks it seems like hockey is well on its way to being one of the more tolerant pro sports! I also really loved how the two women didn’t seem self-conscious or afraid to express their love in front of thousands of hockey fans! It’s great and hopefully that means sometime in the future I could do the same thing!
Just thought I would share this cute video…who knows maybe one day this could happen to me, except at a Stars game! Haha!
So in a few weeks I will be updating my list of the top ten hottest NHL players, and I wanted to see what you guys thought! Over the past year I definitely have had some new additions to the list but I want to see who you guys would like to see on the list.
Last year I actually listened to some people’s suggestions and they were put on the list so go ahead and tell me who you think is a NHL hottie!
And before anyone asks…yes Jamie Benn will be number one again this year! 3 times in a row!
Real quick…sorry for the nonexistence, just been really busy with life and haven’t had a laptop to write on. But I’m trying to make an effort to get better, this next story gave me the push I needed!
So first of all I’m posting this video, please watch spread and then read below!!
I’m in LOVE with this video!! It sends out such an amazing message to everyone, not just gay people and hockey players. Everyone can benefit from the message in this video and I think it is an incredible homage to Brendan Burke and what he wanted to happen for the professional world of hockey!
The foundation You Can Play Project has a website and I encourage everyone to visit it and join their cause! This isn’t just about hockey it is about all professional sports and the gay athletes that deserve to play openly for them! I joined an hour ago and am very excited to see what this Project can do!
Patrick Burke, Brendan Burke’s brother, is one of the founding members of the You Can Play Project and I think it is amazing that he continues to live out his brothers wishes and dreams. Such an amazing brother!
Please go to the website and spread the word, this is a huge deal and I hope it gets the attention it deserves and I hope it brings the change that is needed!
And a huge Thank You to Vincent for sending me the link to the video!! You’re awesome!
This weekend, including today, is the NHL All-Star Game and Skills competition! Everything will be shown on NBC and the Skills competition is tomorrow at 4pm and the Game is Sunday at 7pm! Pretty much all day Sunday is going to be recapping the weekend and looking at stats and all that good stuff!
Last night the two team captains, Alfredsson (Senators) and Chara (Bruins), picked there teammates for the skills portion and the game on Sunday. Sadly, and for no apparent reason, Jamie Benn was picked second to last…WTF?!?! Well at least it wasn’t last, but he is now playing on Zdeno (I still can’t pronounce his name right) Chara’s team. Jamie was picked for a couple of the skills portions for tomorrow and will hopefully play a lot as a forward on Sunday!
On a side note…I’m extremely happy that Tim Thomas was also chosen by Chara as the goaltender, I love watching that man in action!
Here is a link to see the rest of the roster for the All-Star weekend!
Everyone have fun watching the games this weekend!!
So this is a couple of days late buuuut Jamie Benn is now a NHL All-Star!! He was the only Dallas Star to make the team this year, but what better athlete to represent the Stars than Jamie Benn! Now in my opinion Benn should have played on the All-Star team when he was a Rookie, because he was almost in Calder Cup position and was doing awesome his first year, but unfortunately I don’t pick out the All-Star team.
Other notable players that made the team this year are (of course) Tim Thomas, Alex Ovechkin, Jonathan Toews, and Henrik Lundqvist (Most notable for being on my Top Ten Hottest list, haha). The team in all has 48 players, 36 vets and 12 rookies. This year the game is taking place in Ottawa on January 29th. I’m sure that weekend the game and the skills competition will be on NBC, like it was last year.
Now the question until then is, who is going to be picked to lead each team. My guess is that Ovechkin will be one of them and then I think Toews or Thomas stand a good chance of it also. But we shall see! What do you guys think??